Tuesday 16 May 2017

Taillón 3147m


Since the snow had always been frozen solid in the morning, I thought i'd go a bit later in the day about 9, to give the ice a chance to soften a bit so it would be easier to walk up. But then my key broke and my car wouldn't start so i didn't get there till 10:30. Made a cool timelapse video on the way up though.


The snow ended up being a lot softer than i expected. So soft infact, every step went up to my knees.
It had gone from like walking on a slippery rock, to like walking up a sand dune. Totally missed the happy medium i was aiming for.
Every step was sheer effort. I'd even whittled a snazzy ice axe yesterday so i could get past the ice. Just dead weight now.
I battled on for about two hours but hardly made any ground. I was nearly half way in distance, but it still could take another 3 hours to get to the top, then 4-5 back down. I also needed to get some food and drive to my next mountain. My boots were now soaked. All waterproof capabilities completely lost. I could feel my skin burning from the sun. I was disappointed but had to make a tactical retreat.
This is me up to me knees.

Hide and seek champion 2017

That's where i was supposed to be goin.

The snow was quite deep.

I've already mentioned how to drive through the pyrenees. Google maps is giving me a choice of two routes. One is a more direct route and one is a really long way round. They both take almost exactly the same amount of time.
If you look at the more direct route in detail you can see why. That isnt a kids maze puzzle. Its a road.
I took the longer route because i can't stress enough how much i hate those steep and winding mountain roads.
I was on a motorway once. It had a hairpin bend on it. It was well sign posted but come on, this isn't a race track.

No comments:

Post a Comment