Wednesday 17 May 2017

Pic du Midi Ossau 2884m

My boots were still wet from yesterday. Looks like another hike in falling apart trainers again.
Didn't think there would be much snow on this one. Even though there was a sideways warning sign about avalanches on the way here. I think its already finished avalanching till next winter.
The first part of the walk went through several different landscapes. It started off through a forest, then went through a glen, which opened up into a wide valley. The valley went up the side of a rocky mountain which plateaued into a wide grassy plain, covered in snow.


Daffodils in May

Ibex skull. Someones obviously took the horns. Still smelled pretty rank.



My hat blew away here down into that valley. My trainers were dry until i had to run after it.


This guy again. Was never any good at hide and seek.

From here i could see the base of Pic du Midi Ossau. I was initially just going to walk up here then walk back the way i came. The map indicated a route up it, but from what i could see it was definitely a climb. I'd only brought a few biscuits and fruit cause i thought i was only gonna be out for a few hours. This wasn't enough food to get me up and down, then back to me car. If it was summer and id got more food then id probably give it a go.
That's Pic du Midi Ossau. At this point, i was still expecting to walk up there.

The snowy plateau lead up to a ridge. I was now quite close to the base of Midi Ossau and looked like id need more than a couple of cheese buttys to get up there.
I thought this was gonna be a short walk but took more than 7 hours. Which seemed like a long time before i came to France but now thats jus moyenne.
Seen this cool bug on the way back. Think it's an oil beetle.
This is a mouses winter nest which was revealed as the snow melts.
The next day it snowed quite heavily but mostly got washed away by rain. This is the middle of May as well.


This is an ice pattern on my car.

No comments:

Post a Comment