Wednesday 19 April 2017

Pointe Percée et route à Mont Joly


I'd been around Lac D'Annecy for a few days waiting for the cloud to go and i was getting sick of it. The cloud had gone so i set off for Pointe Percée. It was a bit of a mission away.
I drove through quite a few Ski resort towns. Some of the towns had Swiss flags on the sign and around the town. Maybe they are governed by Switzerland. They had really cool looking houses with a base of stone blocks and a timber second floor and a huge over hanging roof.
I was suddenly met with a huge snow drift over the road, i wasn't expecting this. There was a fair bit of snow in the area but i thought they would have cleared the roads. For some reason i thought it had been ploughed there to stop people going that way without snow chains.
I looked for another way. When i got there i was greeted with a private road sign so i couldn't go that way either. I could see Pointe Percée in the distance. It was almost completely covered in snow. Knowing how steep it is, i doubt i would have got far up anyway.

I decided to set off for the next mountain Mont Joly. It was late in the day and i wanted to get there before dark.
I drove very high into the mountains. There was a lot of snow cover and it was snowing. Occasionally there was snow on the roads which i could drive past.
Suddenly i was greeted by another large snow drift on the road. Next to a warning sign about avalanches. There was a narrow gap down the side. I hesitated for a moment before deciding to go for it.

Beyond this snow drift, there were many more snow drifts covering parts of the road accompanied by rocks and debris. I hadn't got very far before a guy stopped me and said i wont be able to get through. So i had to turn back, again. In the alps there aren't many alternative routes, or in most cases, none. If you lived here and your road is blocked, it could turn a 15 minute journey into a two hour journey by driving all the way round the mountains. That's probably why this guy was walking.
I thought i was being clever by going in between the skiiers from winter and before the walkers in summer but didnt realise there would still be this much snow.
Re-routing my journey added an extra 1.5 hours but it was a pretty straightforward drive.
Eventually I got to a very steep and uneven rocky road. You often get these that lead to a car park or café at the base of a mountain. But gps said i still have 20 mins. I knew it would take more than 20 mins up that road because your in 1st the whole way to avoid smashing up me fresh springs.
I looked on my Randonée map, which is all in French so don't read them in great detail. Which i should have cos it said i was on the wrong side of the mountain and when you are on the wrong side of the mountain in the alps, there is only two ways to get to the right side. Keep going round or go all the way back.
So i had to drive all the way back i came, adding up two hours of needless driving onto my already extended journey. This really wasn't a good day so far.
When i finally got to the other side, i was following a steep, narrow, winding road but at least there was no snow. Then there was snow!
I drove over a bit of it but i thought I'm just gonna have to walk the rest tomorrow instead of sliding into a ravine. I was tired and it was almost dark so just parked precariously at the side of the road.
I did get treated to a pretty good sunset though.



No comments:

Post a Comment